Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ants in my peanut butter!

Yesterday I was so excited! I helped Aunty Marie serve breakfast to 20 Canadians who are here to do some mission work in Bo (they have left Freetown already) and I earned a fresh baked bun for lunch. After eating cliff bars for lunch for days on it I very much looked forward to a peanut butter sandwhich on fresh bread. At lunch I opened the jar of PB and found it full of ants. YUCK! I was so disappointed. I ate my bread without the PB. I was perfectly fine and grateful for the bread!

The thing is that the kids are constantly trying to share their food with me. Whenever I go up to see them at meal time they all look so concerned that I am not eating. I have told the cooks to give my portion to the kids (they make me a plate everyday), but they are so earnest in wanting to make sure that I get something too. I love that they have already learned that there is enough food to go around. Even if the boys are still a bit hungry at the end of the meal (what growing pre-adolesent isn't ALWAYS hungry) they have come to trust that there will be another meal. They don't need to be afraid of going to bed hungry and they don't have to consider whether they should take from someone else in order to survive. I love that they have learned this and I love their kindness towards me.

One of these days I'm going to have to pray really hard and just sit down and share a meal with them, maybe next time I get ants in the peanut butter I will!

3 comments:

  1. As long as you drink a coke it shouldn't be a problem right?
    Ha!
    We love the posts and know it is tough to be there without any other missionaries so we are
    praying for you,
    Heather Sisco

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your posts make me cry...including this one and it isn't even sad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Cari -- hope to meet you in September. God is going to bless you so much.

    ReplyDelete