Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Monday, September 20, 2010

I Worry

Yesterday, for the 2nd time, I invited any of the children who wanted to talk more about the day's Bible Story to stay behind. The first time I did this I didn't really expect that any would stay. I thought maybe 1 or 2 who are hungry for God might be there; because the other option is free play time. What child would really choose Bible Study over football?!? But I had forgotten for a moment that these children are different. They depend on Jesus in a way that I can only hope to learn; that dependence leads them to want to know as much about Him as they possibly can. I think we ended up with about 12 who came with their Bibles ready to talk more about what they had heard.

The conversation with these kids is amazing and challenging. There is the language barrier and much of what is said must be translated; and then there is the difficulty of them not knowing simple things that I would usually expect children of their ages to know. Like how plants grow…they start from seeds, need soil, water and light, etc. But somehow (and I am sure it was the Holy Spirit) the conversation lead to one of the girls saying that she thinks about bad things happening (like the building collapsing) and she wonders how to stop that. Which lead to many of the kids sharing what they worry about. We acknowledged that bad things happen; there is a reason they worry about being hungry—"I worry about my belly" said one boy—because he's been more than just hungry before. They worry about people they love dying; because their parents are gone. They worry about what is happening to family members because they haven't seen them for months and don't hear from them. We all worry! I worry about falling down the hill outside the house again and if the food I am eating here will give me parasites. I wonder if the people I love are healthy and happy. I worry about the kids here growing up…will we be able to provide for them the best education, nutrition, and opportunities. We talked about all of this and then this amazingly, sweet, Biblical thing happened…each child and Uncle Andrew and I were invited to sit in the middle of the circle and each was prayed over.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:6 & 7

1 comment:

  1. Cari,
    What a blessing to get to see God move in the lives of His children. How I wish I could be there with you and them. I am praying for each of you every day.
    love,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete