Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Poda Poda

This morning we left the familiar, isolated walls of the compound and went out into the city. Because the vehicle wasn't working we hired a poda poda. Amazingly this van with its metal frame and wooden seat benches and broken windows was a very nice poda poda compared to most others on the street. And with only 13 of us in it (I think it comfortably sits 15 or less) we experienced the luxury that those who take the poda poda everyday never experience—most of them are loaded down with at least 20 or 30 people. I found myself wishing that I could truly experience life as a Sierra Leonian today and at the same time grateful that I didn't have to. Even the poda poda ride was a luxury compared to what most people live with everyday here.

It took us many hours to get to the children's hospital where I had the opportunity to interact with one of the head nurses and ask her questions about what her job is like everyday. What an inspiration! Last time I was there I only saw the sick and starving children; today God showed me the women who work everyday to educate others on how to care for their children. In the midst of her sharing her heart and work with me she asked me if she could ask a favor…here we go, I thought, it's always something; she's going to ask me for something I can't provide or something that will not bring sustainable life here…I nearly wept when she asked me for a digital camera. She wants to take pictures of the malnourished children when they come into the hospital and pictures of them when they leave healthy and well fed, so that the new moms who come will see what hope looks like. They will know that their child can be saved and that these nurses can help. It wasn't about something big or expensive or crazy it was a request for a way to bring hope. I will figure out how to get Nurse Fatmata a camera and I am humbled to be a part of providing just a bit of hope to her.

In the ICU, where I usually see the chaos and the desperation and want to help but cannot; I saw a new friend from the Bible Study I go to, gently explain that they were using every resource available to them to save and sustain life. She works everyday with the knowledge that she can only do so much and the rest she has to leave in the hands of God and those whom she is training to work with the patients. I was reminded again that it is not me that saves…it's not TRS that saves…we need to trust that it is God that saves and I just need to be faithful.

Faithfulness is what it keeps coming back to for me these days. Trust that God will take care of the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Faithfulness! God is faithful.
    I can't wait to see how He answers this request to give hope:)

    ReplyDelete