Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life

There are days when I am at the center and all I can see is the things that we still need. Clothes wear out and pack backs fall apart. Beds need replacing and towels fall apart. There are so many things that I would like to have for these children and I am confident that these things will come. Yesterday, I was reminded how good our kids have it. How TRS is truly saving the orphan….

We had a 10 year-old boy show up at our center on Tuesday looking for help. He said his mom had died and he was living with his dad and needed help with school. I could tell that he was malnourished by his hair. He didn't have shoes and he was dirty. We gave him food on and asked him to come back the next day so our social worker could do an investigation and find out what the whole story was. On Wednesday the social worker visited his home and came back with a report that it was really bad living conditions. He felt like we couldn't take the boy into our center because he had living relatives that were trying to care for him but that we should consider helping with food and school. I bought a bag of rice on Thursday and delivered it yesterday.

I haven't spent much time in Freetown in people's homes. I recognize that the building we've rented for the kids and the guest house I am staying is are very nice compared to many of the places that one could live. But I was struck on Friday by the difference in a new way. We walked up to a small, house made out of aluminum/zinc siding. It was the size of my bathroom and 6 people were living there. No door, just a sheet and a concrete floor. No bathroom or water or lights or the things that we just expect a home to have. The bag of rice will last for a month or two if they are careful; we've figured out a way for the boy to go to school. I'm praying that it will work out for him and that there might be a way to help the family to continue to have the things that they need.

It was good to remember how blessed our kiddos are and they continue to tell me how grateful they are for the little things…3 meals a day, a bed to sleep in, clothes to wear, a fine house, and lots of love!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cari! Looking for new posts! Love the BLOG; seeing how God is at work in Sierra Leone.
    May God bless you today (with some rest!?) and give you a big hug from your Mama in South Dakota!
    LOVE YOU!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete