Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Joy and Meaning


          The strangeness of all of this is that 6 months ago I never thought I would make it this far…to actually STAY and live in Freetown for more than another day was CRAZINESS to me. But just over 12 months ago I thought I might just be moving to stay here forever—the glamorous life of a missionary was calling my name. And now, just over 2 months away from the time when I’ll leave this not so glamorous but not torturous season of my life, I am amazed that I made it here…and I don’t really know where here is but it’s where I am and where God is meeting me these days.

I have been reading a book…okay, I know some of you can’t imagine me NOT reading a book so that statement is really unnecessary; I don’t think I’ve been without a book to read since I learned to read which I’m sure was when I was 3 or 4 judging as to how brilliant I am. HA! Anyway, I digressed big time…I was challenged in this book today to make a list of things that bring joy and meaning to my life and compare them with the things that I would say are my goals. I don’t really have a goal list right now save a hot, clean shower and a big glass of ICE COLD MILK but I am going to work on the joy and meaning list. So I started this morning and didn’t get very far; it’s harder than I thought! I decided that I will “study” my life over the next few weeks and months and see what really brings me joy and makes “my heart sing”, and to keep myself accountable I’ll share some of these things with you on a some-what regular basis. I’m also praying that God will reveal through these things what He might be calling me to do in the next season.
Day One: Today I threw peanuts at William and Joseph! They snuck in the office, whispering and nudging each other like there was something BIG going on. They sneak in nearly everyday and just stand quietly or hang on someone. Seriously, it’s got to be the most boring place…imagine a 11 year old boy wanting to stand and watch 5 adults type! So today, when they walked in I grabbed some boiled peanuts (which DO NOT bring me joy of any kind, YUCK!) and attempted to start a food fight. Yesterday and lunch I wanted so badly to fling a spoonful of cassava and rice at the older boys. Just for fun but I was afraid they’d make me clean up the mess which would not be fun! The boys looked at me like I was the crazy white lady (nothing new) and picked up the peanuts and ate them; then they sat down in the chair next to my desk, and stared at me while I typed. I was disappointed that they didn’t start chucking peanuts back at me or laughing or screaming in outrage…they acted like it was just another day. Hmm…must do something crazier next time!

I won’t be putting “throwing peanuts at 11 year olds” on the list! Instead I’m thinking…doing the unexpected or acting like a child once in a while or getting kids to smile or maybe all threeJ

Rejoice always! 1 Thessalonians 5:16                

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the unexpected definitely brings smiles around here...like, when the power went out at Kevin's work and he came home at 3, and we went to the zoo. :)

    ReplyDelete