Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Demon Water and Chocolate Cake

Demon Water and Chocolate Cake really have nothing to do with each other except I know where each comes from. Demon water comes from Satan and chocolate cake, well that most DEFINITAVLY comes from God. I was given a whole cake to bring home tonight and put in my fridge (which isn't working right now due to the fact that there is no electricity) and I should share with the others who live here but I don't want to! We'll see what happens tomorrow. For now, I will keep it safe in my fridge!

So I asked today why it seems that so many people here are scared of water. They don't swim or go out in boats. Quami is always telling me "Water is for fish not for Quamis!" The answer I got today when I asked was that as children they were told that there are demons in the water and if they went to play or swim there without their mothers the demons would grab them and eat them or something. I am sure that this tale came from the mother's wanting to keep her children safe—like if you keep making that face your face will stay that way forever! But it also comes from a deep undercurrent in this county of sorcery, witchcraft, and evil. In the last week I have heard a lot about the spiritual aspects of the traditional culture here that keeps people oppressed and in fear. It seems that not too long ago all the best sorcerers and witchdoctors were invited to a contest of skill in a neighboring country. Sort of like the Olympics for animism and traditional religion. Guess which team won? Sierra Leone! People speak of curses, devils, secret societies, and all types of evil. It is not hard then to imagine why the children at the center have continual nightmares and why young girls talk openly about being demon possessed and not understanding what or why they are doing things and why the country continues to fight oppression and darkness. The devil has a strong foothold here.

All this reminded me today that our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world's rulers of the darkness of this age, and against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.--and drives me to pray for the salvation of this entire nation from the clutches of the evil one; these are God's people created by him to do good things. God bring freedom from darkness here; may your word penetrate our hearts and keep us from the clutches of the evil one, in Jesus Name. Amen

1 comment: