Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Good Samaritan

Today I want to give a HUGE thanks to the random gentleman who picked me up on the side of the road! Before you freak out, I wasn't hitch-hiking and I wasn't alone!

Because the two staff members with vehicles were up-country today, I found myself leaving the center with 2 children and our Home Father Daniel at about 10:15am to find a taxi to take us to a doctor's appointment and to pick up one of our babies who was being discharged from the hospital. The rain was threatening but we were sure that we'd make it to our destination or at least inside a transport before the rain began. We climbed up the hill to get to the main road and waited...and waited…and waited. Every taxi that went by was over full and it began to seem hopeless, and then it started to rain. There's a certain frustration level that quickly envelops me in these situation. I'm standing out on the side of a busy road with 2 young children and one adult staff member and it's raining and there is NOTHING I can do. In this case though, both Daniel and I started praying. I was praying for an empty taxi but Daniel…he asked for something better—A Good Samaritan. And in the space of a few moments God answered with a large green SUV driven by an older man who I am sure is the kindest man in Sierra Leone. He picked us up and didn't just drive us to the nearest junction/taxi stand but took us all the way, out of his way, to the hospital and right up to the front door! A free trip and a wonderful blessing!

Some of you have heard that we have had many medical problems in the past few months. I was glad to bring home Geraldine today so all of our babies are back together again after about 3 weeks. We are working very hard to make sure that these little ones are healthy and growing. When Geraldine went to the hospital she was so lethargic, she wouldn't hold up her head or respond to her name. Today she was so alert and active. We are so grateful to see her little personality come out again! I am also grateful for some new friends we met last week. Jackie and Kelly are RNs working as missionaries in Sierra Leone and they have agreed to visit the children often and help us to set up some systems to ensure that we are getting good medical care and are keeping good records of all of our kids. God sent these two women to answer a huge prayer as well.

These are my small miracles today…there was one other that I need to mention—a can of coke (my 1st dose of caffeine since last Saturday!).

3 comments:

  1. Sierra Leone can be a difficult place. Others I'm reminded of include Joseph's prison, Mary's maternity ward, Jesus' cross. Keep going and keep an eye out for those fingerprints of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sharing about the Good Samaritan made me smile. God is so good and caring...thankful the little ones are healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for these blessings Cari!!! So glad to hear about the babies too!!!

    ReplyDelete