Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I sing this song…

Take this heart and make it whole,

And interrupt the part that won't let go,

This world is broken and dying God,

Forsake the earth but save me from my lot.

They are dying even as I sing,

Were love a song and my offering.

And I sing, I sing this son,

For the broken and dying where I belong.

            C.J. Bergmen, "Song for the broken"

Jesus come take me away, I long to see your face,

This world is broken yet beautifully made, Jesus come take me away

Jesus I'll patiently wait, Until like a vapor I'll fade,

Help me fulfill all your dreams for these days, Jesus I'll patiently wait.

And you'll come again with a shout, Like a thief in the night you'll come riding on clouds,

And finally the voice I have followed for life, Has a glorious face that is lit up with lights.

And you'll come for me,

No more pain…peace, No more fear…release,

Just lost and consumed with my glorious King.

Jesus today I am tired, And I need your music to come and inspire,

And I give myself to be refined in this fire, But Jesus today I'm so tired.

And you'll come again with a shout, Like a thief in the night you'll come riding on clouds,

And finally the voice I have followed for life, has a glorious face that is lit up with lights.

And you'll come for me,

No more pain…peace, No more fear…release,

Just lost and consumed with my glorious King.

Charlie Hall, "Come for Me"


 

These two songs are among my favorites and last night as we drove back to Freetown they were the anthems of my heart. I wanted to share them with you!

Here's the story of why:

Yesterday we traveled out to the villages near Shenge where 32 of the children at The Covering came from earlier this year. Last September a boat carrying 200+ people from Shenge to Freetown via Tombo sank and there were only a few survivors. The area was already economically depressed and struggling to regain what they had lost during the war. The people on the ferry were taking goods to sell in Freetown or going to work to bring home food and necessities for their impoverished families. Can you imagine what happens to an area when 200+ of their "breadwinners" die in a single day. The children who are living at our center now have a place where they have clothes and food and education, and I am so grateful for that, but yesterday we interacted with some grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, and communities that were missing their children. We had pictures and they were so excited to see their little ones. I wept at their sacrifice, to give up these children is good for the village—less mouths to feed means more to go around; it's good for the child. BUT these mothers and grandparents LOVE their children and long to see them and know they are okay. Can you imagine the heartbreaking choices they made in the midst of their grief and suffering?

It's my hope that we can find a way to help these families in the villages to have what they need for their children so that some of the precious children we are caring for in our center can go back to their families and homes; that we can develop these communities so they'll never have to face the choice of giving up their children again! I have so little to offer but to pray and to work to show love to these broken people. Last night I all I could do was allow my heart to sing out to God for the "broken and dying where I belong".

In one of the villages I met a young girl, perhaps 15 or 16, named Sophie. She immediately latched onto my hand and held it the whole time. The people thought it quite interesting that I would spend all my time with this girl who was obviously disabled and dirty. They kept telling me that she is unwell. I finally got a part of the story…that she became ill as a baby and has never spoken. Her mother died in the boat accident and her Grandmother is caring for her. It was obvious to me that Sophie didn't have much hope, I don't think there were many who took the time to hold her hand or speak to her. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I misread the cues of the people…but she was dirty and lonely and it broke my heart completely. She is so vulnerable to others who would use her or neglect her. I took time to hold her face in my hands and tell her that she is beautiful and loved. We had a small stuffed animal to give to her, and I'm sure that it isn't what Sophie really needs but I am praying that in it she will see a glimpse of a Savior who loves her. As we drove away I cried for Sophie….I hope to go back and visit her again soon…but I was comforted by the hope and promise that Jesus is there. I have heard so many stories all over the world of Jesus, coming to comfort through dreams and visions. I hope that she somehow knows the one who loves her and sees her and hears her. That mysteriously she can follow his voice for life and that He will come for her some day with an offer of no more pain or fear.

1 comment:

  1. Cari - I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I am so thankful that you were able to go to Shenge and spend time with these beautiful, yet broken people. I am so thankful that you were able to hold Sophie's face in your hands and tell her she is beautiful and loved. Thank you for doing what so many of us here at home wish we could be there doing with you. Thank YOU for your sacrifice for these children. Know that there are people here that you have never met that are reading and praying for your journey in Africa so that you may bless these children in ways you can't even imagine.

    Peace. Love. Fiddle.
    ~natalie

    ReplyDelete