Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Saturday, June 5, 2010

In Sierra Leone!





Yesterday, after 24 exhausting hours of air planes and flying, we (Ashley and  I) arrived in Sierra Leone. It was so fun to get off the plane and see Osseh waiting for us! Of course, Ashley’s bag was the absolute last one to come through the baggage claim, which caused some panic for us but all of our luggage arrived! We were greeted by Qwami and Mohammed at the helicopter and they all helped us settle into our home for the next 3 weeks (or moreJ).  The AC is wonderful, and even the cold shower felt good.

Last night, after trying to put everything away, I went to bed sad about so many things…the week before was a hard week of saying “see you soon” to so many people…the thing  I found myself the most concerned/sad about was that there were no shelves in the closets for all my stuff! I cried and told God I want to go home because I can’t live out of a suitcase! This morning when I woke up the other closet door had come open last night and guess what was inside?!?! SHELVES! It seems so silly now, in the midst of all that is happening and changing, but I am so excited about those shelves!
This morning we got to go to The Covering and meet the children. When we arrived they were lined up outside the gate singing very loudly and holding up signs to greet us. What a beautiful, overwhelming sight. All 79 of them and the staff so excited to see us. I could barely get out of the vehicle before I was swarmed with lots of hugs and kisses.  And then they welcomed us so sweetly and some of the older children led us all in worship. I was overwhelmed with how wonderful it was to be surrounded by children singing praises to God…I have missed that the most the last months! And to hear them pray and shout loudly to Jesus without embarrassment or fear was so encouraging.

I had to break up several fights over who got to sit on my lap…what do you say when they don’t understand English and when you say “No!” they think it’s funny and laugh at you?!? Yet, another thing I’ll have to learn! We did enjoy our Saturday morning with them though, watching movies and playing football. I am sure that Saturdays will become a favorite day of mine as the children just get time to relax and play.

I am looking forward to church tomorrow and maybe some more time with the children.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for "blogging"! Keep us informed; and keep the pictures coming. Praying for you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it safe and that your "wake up" was better than your "lay down". Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete