Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 17

September 10th, 2011
Today I took 2 boys from the center and we went to visit Aunty M.'s house. She's been on vacation for a while now and I have been missing her! She wanted me to come and see all the work she has done on her house...
Several of us visited her house a few months ago and she showed us how terrible her roof was. The zinc had rusted and the rain was soaking through the plywood ceiling and flooding the house. The cement siding was cracked and the foundation was being eaten away. It was the begining of the rainy season so she was in great need of some help.
Some friends and I donated some money...some other friends donated some labor...and she now has a new roof and ceiling...and no more leaking means that she can save and buy one bag or two of cement at a time and repair the walls and foundation.
The transformation was amazing! She has decorated and set up a corner for a dining room where she can invite guests and family to come and enjoy her FANTASTIC food. And so we ATE...chicken, spagetti, and chocolate cake with fudge frosting--of course. Wow!
So here's what I realized...I love seeing tangible ways where I have been able to make a difference. I think sometimes I just need to see it. Something concrete, something finished, or something the is clearly defined. I know that God is always working...always moving and providing...but when I see a rainbow (saw one of those today too!) or I see a miracle I am reminded of His power and His work...otherwise I forget. It's the same way in helping others...I know that the little things we do...the ordinary, everyday ways that we reach out and love...make a long-term difference for Christ's-sake in others but I like to see the results sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment