Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chickens, Weight Loss, & Near Misses


No, I am not selling a miraculous weight loss drug! If you really want to get rid of some extra pounds, move to Sierra Leone! You can eat whatever you want and climb this hill 2 or 3 times a day and you'll be good to go!

The name of the game this week has been avoidance…or near misses! I nearly put my car into a big, deep hole…but I missed it! I almost hit a goat or a dog (honestly it was a blur and I'm not sure what kind of animal it was and I only zoned out while driving for a split second) while driving home from the beach yesterday! And I was millimeters from smashing a young man between my car and a poda poda on Sunday night…oops! (why do these all involve driving!?!?)

Tuesday, I nearly stepped in an enormous pile of black sludge (aka poo) and garbage that someone had dug out of the gutter only to leave in a pile on the side of the road…right next to the gutter that it ended up being shoved back into by the end of the day! 

And I nearly got attacked by a rooster. NOT KIDDING! One of the visitors mistakenly told the children to catch the rooster for him, not thinking they'd actually be able to…they caught the rooster (quite quickly) and brought it to him…he screamed, thus making all the children aware that if you shove a chicken in our faces we freak out a bit…The conversation after that went something like this: silly Americans, don't you have chickens in your country?…um, OURS come from the frozen food section of the grocery store, thank you very much!…SO the child-with-chicken-chasing-the-big-American-man saga continued until he climbed into my car…at which point the chicken was shoved inside along with him. Then, I screamed and freaked out a bit…I spent several summers as a child helping the family "prepare" chickens to freeze so I am not afraid of the things…but a rooster, IN MY CAR, was too much. I screamed like a girl…but it could have pecked my eyes out!

So, I've been thinking about near misses…and wondering, how many times does God protect me from things each day? I'm sure it's not His deal too much whether or not I get a rooster shoved in my car; but I know He cares whether or not I get hurt…I am under his care, under his protection…and this morning I was reading in 1 Peter…that the trials and troubles we face are for him to test us and bring him glory…so some come into our lives but no more that He allows…the rest He protects us from. How many times a day or a week does He, lovingly keep my foot from stumbling on a rock and breaking my leg? or move and obstacle out of my way before I've ever seen it? or get rid of a pile of "poo" before I step into it? So today I'm saying THANK YOU Jesus…for saving me from all kinds of trouble…and for giving me enough trouble to test my faith and see who and what I'm really made of.

AND THANK YOU Jesus for saving me from that rooster…the thing had murder in it's eyes…I'm sure for him it was eat or be eaten…and he will be eaten soon…in fact, we had chicken for dinner tonight…yum! 

And here's a few pictures from the week!





No comments:

Post a Comment