Luke 24:13-32
This is Jesus heartburn(I have to credit Dallas Willard for this term!)...31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The HILL!


I recognized something today…I was standing at the bottom of the hill dreading my climb to the top…wondering if I should be brave and pay a motorcycle 1000 to take me to the top (wouldn't that also be EXTREMELY lazy and a waste of $.25)…and watching two of our older children climb in front of me. I have the same debate with myself every day…is it better to walk up as fast as possible and just get it over with or to walk up slowly…either way I end up tired and SWEATY by the time I reach the top! But as I watched these two children walk up the hill the way most Sierra Leoneans do…a slow zigzag…constantly moving from one side of the road to the other…I had 3 thoughts…1st they are making the hill 4x as long as it is…and they are REALLY smart…and this is a clear picture of our cultural differences.

I don't want to be too simplistic but hear me out…I'm an American, I do things right away, as quickly as possible, and my main goal is to "get r' done". I will march straight up the hill, while carrying my laptop, loaded purse, and extra large planner all while talking on my cell phone and complaining that it's hot and the hill is too much! I approach life with an attitude of urgency and high productivity being the answer. My Sierra Leonean friends enjoy (maybe enjoy is not the right word) their walk up the hill…they talk to each other while walking and carrying their load. They meander a bit and eventually make it to the top…as do I but I am OUT of breath, sweating like crazy and cranky…they are in total control of their breath and pleasantly warm and ready to walk up hills 7x as big. 

And they can walk up a hill with a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on their head! AMAZING! Which means they are not lazy…just patient, strong, and survivors. Me I don't feel like much of a survivor most of the times…I freak out when it comes to bugs (THERE WAS A GINORMOUS SPIDER IN THE PARLOR YESTERDAY!!! PUKE, PUKE, PUKE!) and lizards in my shower. I couldn't even lift off the ground much less put it over my head and carry it up the hill. I feel a great deal of humility when the 7 year olds at the center go and fetch gallons of water and I sit at home and wait for it to be delivered! 

And I can live without water…but the HILL…my new prayer will be...
Please, Lord, give us an escalator…I will still "walk" up it…people who stand still on escalators are CRAZY…oh, and while you are working on getting me an escalator, can you make sure it runs on batteries or solar power, never needs maintenance and is lizard friendly (meaning I don't want those poor little creatures to get chopped up into little bitty pieces, eww); I am an American after all. Thanks, Love Cari.

No comments:

Post a Comment